Enough about the negative stuff, here is a list of happy things!
– Listening to one good song after another on the radio, ITunes, MP3, Ipod, etc.
– Singing into a hairbrush to your favorite song(s)
– A good, hearty, hurts-to-breathe laugh over something stupid
– A cat sleeping contently nearby
– Knowing somehow that things will get better
– Having more than a shred of hope that we’ll all be okay soon
– A friendly, knowing smile from a coworker after a difficult week
– A friendly email
– A greeting card
– A coworker trusting you enough to confide (I love that this happens for two reasons – one, I do like that they trust me because they know I won’t repeat the news, and two because I like being able to relate to their problems. It’s so relaxing to be able to share our work problems through cynical, stupid humor).
– A successful phone call or presentation (I put these two together, because if they’re both done right I can feel on top of the world and everything else seems possible.)
– Feeling accomplished after exercising
– Catching a favorite movie on TV
– An authentic compliment (a student once told me that I was approachable and I never forgot it, then another student made my day by saying that he received several job offers after I helped him fix his resume – as down as I get about my job nowadays, those compliments are still rewards. And when I get complimented about my appearance, that’s a totally different, special compliment altogether. I feel attractive and confident. )
– The taste of a good meal.
– Knowing that, once you mentally dissect things, lots of things can be fixed or they don’t seem nearly as stressful as they did the day before.
What are your happy moments?