Welcome to Friday, everyone! Here is the most recent meme from Friday 5 called, “On This Date”. If you feel so inclined, fill out this little survey thingy and post it on your blog. If not for me, do it for the sake of Friday. Do it for world peace.
1. On March 6, 1869, Dmitri Mendeleev presented the first Periodic Table of the Elements to the Russian Chemical Society. What memories do you have of your high-school chemistry course?
– I never had to take chemistry! I took a class called “Earth Science” but never had to take biology or chemistry. Now I wish I had at least taken biology.
2. On March 6, 1899, the Bayer company registered aspirin as a trademark. When did you last take medication for pain?
– A couple weeks ago after my muscles reminded me that I shouldn’t stop exercising for too long.
3. On March 6, 1853, Giuseppe Verdi’s opera La Traviata premiered in Venice. How do you feel about opera?
– I don’t feel much about it, actually, but I would love to experience it one of these days.
4. On March 6, 1947, American film director Rob Reiner (Meathead!) was born. Which of these Reiner-directed films have you seen, and what do you think of them?
– * The Bucket List (2007) – This was funny in some parts but terribly depressing and scary in others. Not even Morgan Freeman could make me watch that movie again.
* Rumor Has It… (2005) – Didn’t see this one.
* Alex & Emma (2003) – Or this one..
* The Story of Us (1999) – Same here
* Ghosts of Mississippi (1996) – and here
* The American President (1995) – This is one of my favorite movies. I’m not into politics, but I could follow this movie.
* North (1994) – Didn’t see this one.
* A Few Good Men (1992) – or this one.
* Misery (1990) – Loved this movie, but still have to look away during the one scene. “Trust me, darling, it’s for the best.”
* When Harry Met Sally… (1989) – I could watch this repeatedly..And I have!
* The Princess Bride (1987) – “As….you….wish!!!” The Cackler said that before choir on Monday, but can’t remember why, but she wasn’t trying to quote from the movie. But I requoted in my head.
* Stand by Me (1986) – Awesome movie. Sad in some parts, yes, but very memorable.
* The Sure Thing (1985) – Nope, didn’t see this one.
* This Is Spinal Tap (1984) – I couldn’t finish this one. Just never got into it.
5. On March 6, 1972, American basketball-player Shaquille O’Neal was born. How do you feel about basketball?
– I feel nothing for this sport.